View Single Post
  #9   IP: 108.88.37.1
Old 09-06-2019, 05:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnward View Post
This is a common source of gasoline odor. If you can smell it without putting your nose on the carb air intake, you have a problem. If you can reach in there far enough to know that it's loose, you can reach it to tighten it. A 4 + 1/2 " long, 3/8" open end wrench should do it. That's the only thing I use that wrench for. The previous owner was seriously remiss in not doing that. If the elbow is not pointing forward, turn it so that it is. If you have to remove the carb, do it. You don't want that to drip into the bilge. Then try to get any gas out of the bilge.
On the subject of using choke to start, you should need full choke to start if engine is cold. After running for a few seconds, the choke can open. With mine, once the engine is warmed up it doesn't need a choke to start. I may have it tuned a little rich, but I like to be able to start quickly by just turning the key and pushing the button. I do a lot of 'motor for bit, sail for a bit', and repeat, because I navigate around small islands in a light wind area.
There is no gas in the bilge, nor is it dripping from the elbow, which points aft toward the shaft end of the motor. I'll be at the boat for another look after dinner, armed with some additional info, thanks to the replies here.