View Single Post
  #46   IP: 74.14.63.197
Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 AM

Just to ad my 2 cents.. this was also my concern.

The previous owner used Valvoline 10W30 in the A4... clutch slipped a lot. If you opened up the throttle while cruising the engine would eventually rev up and you'd go nowhere as the clutch slipped away. It also popped out of reverse.

I went with Mobil 1 10W40 motorcycle oil... no friction modifiers. No more clutch slip. My only issue is a lower oil pressure, which I questioned in another thread here. Now that I know there's an adjustment, and I now know where, I'm going to crank it up a touch.

The engine is quieter, and doesn't slip out of reverse now and also will speed up going forward when I open the throttle.

I have read about others with slipping clutches and popping out of reverse and then I read about the oil they use and I suspect this is why.

I also note here people whining about the cost of oil when you bought a sailboat. Spend thousands on a boat then cheap out on the oil. Duh.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
The only concern for me is whether that oil has the friction modifiers that will mess up the wet clutch. I'm assuming you made sure the oil you're using doesn't contain those?

And if so, care to share exactly what brand you've found to work so well?

Last edited by old-sailer; 08-15-2012 at 01:49 AM.