View Single Post
  #36   IP: 68.173.38.216
Old 09-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanks Eric.

Your suggestion brings up a good point. I know that I have an early model engine with some late model components on it (5 bolt Zenith carb for example) from 1967. I wonder who made the upgrades on my engine but I'm pretty sure the PO of our boat did. Our boat came with a pile of folders, one of which was a collection of early MMI newsletters to subscribers.
The point I am not making very well is that some owners added upgrades and some engines came with upgrades from the factory. Examples of this kind of upgrade might be: adding Fresh Water Cooling, a HX and an extra water pump, new carburetor, thermostat, electronic ignition or fuel pump, water/fuel separator filters, oil filter, you name it and it has been done.
I was really only going for a very narrow slice of the information pie with this poll and did not ask about late vs. early model types of engines as there are so many hybrid engines out there and I can't think of all the varieties that may exist.
Some of the information that Universal printed tells a bit about each engine block as it came out of the factory may exist out there but I bet that Don Moyer knows that you have to assess each engine and find out what components may have been added or modified before they make any suggestions.
I was not up to the level of detail the poll you suggested required, so have at it.
Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
A4 and boat are from 1967