View Single Post
  #34   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile We shall see.

Hi Shawn,

I don't have an adjustable main jet...same as you. I just played with it until I got it pretty good.

I think perhaps they want to see generally how people's engines are working and what they are doing to keep them there .... or a combination there-of.

Don mentioned my plugs might be a slightly hotter running. They are supposed to be for this engine. There is also a serious danger associated with using plugs that are too hot...they can literally burn a hole in the top of the piston.

My cooling is not exactly by the book. I want to be able to lay my finger tips to the block and the head and hold them...that's just me. The only parts on the engine that are too hot to handle when running are:
- the exhaust manifold
-and a small area at the front portion of the block around where the blow-by tube comes out to the carb...pretty warm there too.
Otherwise not bad at all.

The great thing about this forum is people get enough good information to maintain the engine. They have the additional opportunity to gain an understanding of:
- it's workings
- weak areas
- troubleshooting skills,
- obtaining parts and spares
- and fixing it
...........not bad at all.

Each boat is different. Exhaust configurations on various boats; where to place additional filters...the list goes on....the knowledge is priceless to owners. Where else would they get that kind of detail from guys who own the same boat and the same engine.

So, I'll throw in my little bit and we'll see where it goes.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.