Thread: Atomic 4 sale
View Single Post
  #7   IP: 137.103.82.194
Old 05-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenders View Post
We ought to publish guidelines for how to sell an A4 on this site.

Our new friend Bobp has a good-looking late-model specimen here in running condition with many modern conveniences like the electric fuel pump and polishing filter. Someone has paid attention to this engine during its life.

It could linger here for months, or perhaps eventually get listed on eBay or Craigslist so Bobp will have to deal with Nigerian royalty and whackadoodles demanding to know if this will fit into their dune buggy or Bentley restoration projects.

Or, with:
  • Photos showing all sides of the engine
  • Transmission style
  • Electronic ignition information
  • Compression and oil pressure numbers
  • Operation/rebuild history/why removed

And maybe a few other relatively easily-determined details, it could be gone in 60 seconds with no fee and minimal bickering to an eager, informed buyer, perhaps even with a reputation to maintain here, who is already a few efficient clicks away from a nice Moyer parts purchase.

What else should we suggest to future engine sellers to help them on their journey, and expedite the purchasing experience of A4 ownership for new buyers?

Or should I call up Bobp, talk smack about his ticking-time-bomb engine that doesn't even have an oil filter, offer to take it off his hands if he pays me $50, and turn it around myself with a bit of degreaser and spritz of paint for $1750? My wife would be annoyed at the presence of the engine in the garage for a while, but maybe not $1800 annoyed.
Why isn't in the boat? It is some doing to take it out.