View Single Post
  #16   IP: 67.184.219.29
Old 06-22-2020, 08:14 PM
Afourian MVP

Everyone should be careful here. He has a 1969 A4 and I would guess this is an 'early model" with the smaller prestolite distributor. You can easily tell if the condenser is hanging from the side wall rather than on the plate. If this is true the timing starts with the rotor pointing directly aft at TDC and is pointing at the number one distributor position. From there the cylinder 1-2-4-3 sequence clockwise starts.

Now, this is a guess with out a picture but the early model distributor is " loosened " differently than the late models. The early model has a hold screw for mounting the dizzy but not for adjusting it. instead about half way down there is a HORIZONTAL screw bolt and a nut/clamp arrangement that has to be slightly loosened to rotate the distributor. I strongly suggest you slightly loosen the bolt with a long screw driver and or a 3/8 in [I think] socket on an extension with the engine off before you attempt to power time. Timing light not really needed since there is no stock degree marks [which gets into a whole different area].

There is some info in the Moyer tech tips but not a lot of info on the early model issues in the videos. Hope this helps. Sam