View Single Post
  #13   IP: 73.104.175.170
Old 06-22-2020, 04:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

I"m not sure if I should now move over to a timing thread, but here's what's going on now: I gapped the points, changed and gapped the spark plugs, changed the fuel filter. She fired right up and seems to be running pretty smooth both in neutral and in gear against the dock lines. I loosened up the retaining nut on the distributer so that I can power tune it. I can not budge the distributer. I was hesitant to put a big pair of channel locks on it. I sprayed it with PB blaster and will try again tomorrow.

When changing the plugs, I found top dead center by manually turning the flywheel. When cylender one (nearest the fly wheel) was at TDC, the distributer was pointing directly towards the block. From my view this is the 3:00 poosition with 12 being stern, 3 being port, 6 being bow and 9 at starboard. It rotates clockwise. The spark plug wire that goes to cylinder number one was at the 6:00 position. From there it is 1,2,4,3. I thought from some of my reading that the distributer would point towards the block (3:00) as it was at TDC, but that is where spark plugh wire number one whould be. I moved the wires so that this would be 1 and then went on to the 2,4,3. It would not start and I got a ton of blow back or misfire. I put it back and it seems to run fine.

How should I attempt to free up the distributer or should I just leave well enough alone? I don't know how to use a timing light and I don't know where the marks are, so I can't check it that way.

I started more research when I got home and on the video that Don Moyer did about placing the distributer, he said that the distributer should line up pointing away from the block (which would be my 9:00 position). THis is 180 degrees off of where I am now. I seem to be getting closer to nailing this, but then now my research is confusing me worse. Any advise appreciated.