#19   IP: 137.103.82.227
Old 06-06-2020, 10:44 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lat 64 View Post
Thanks Ed.

Nice Joe,
I see little wires. Are those for LEDs too?

I protected my ammeter and voltmeter with 1-amp fuses. I wonder; is there resistance in the fuse that might drop the voltage(50 millivolts in this case) to the meter, thus changing calibration with the matching shunt?

After I made this panel, I learned that my father-in-law was putting in the same ammeter in his experimental airplane. I thought "cool! we have something in common, something to talk about"
He fried two meters while sorting out an issue with the shunt that was too small. I guess with the whole airplane's electrical system switched on and the alternator charging a low battery, it was too many amps. It melted the shunt and then took out the meter. At least I think that was the sequence.
I tried to interrogate him about what went wrong, but only got an icy stare.
Never interrogate a father-in-law.

So now I'm mister smartypants about correct shunt size and stuff. At least until my setup starts smoking.
The little wires are for LEDs. Each circuit has an LED and the panel is backlit with LEDs as well to read the labels in the dark. I can switch the panel backlights off if I want to. I have 2 8 circuit panels and 2 three circuit.
Here is the front side (generic, not my boat):