View Single Post
  #13   IP: 70.192.194.134
Old 11-10-2012, 07:10 PM

Day 2

Day 1 was uneventful aside from the sloppy seas and leaving late in the morning. Good thing we know where everything is... We made it from Cambridge MD to Solomans Island MD in 8 hours averaging 1.16 gallons per hour. Since it was late I sat down for what I though would be a few minutes and woke up at midnight to a thud against the Tiki Bar Dock (bumper needed)! I wanted to investigate why the extra fuel usage but so much for that!

After a good rest, we were seriously tired from the first day of our trip South, we left before dawn in the dark due to the next hop to Queens Creek and 17 other boats headed to the same place. Hahaha jokes on them all jammed up in Deltaville. We are by ourselves in this "Gem" of an anchorage.

The A4 ran well all day except for a burp and sputter while re-fueling along the way. I had attributed it to being low on fuel and adding the marvels and then the gas. Trina said it was overly Marvelous LOL

To my surprise when we pulled into anchor just as it got dark the A4 seemed to be starving for fuel. Thank Goodness we were exactly where we wanted to be when she shut off!

Then it was time to take a look and see whats up - she wouldn't start back up.

I let it sit for about ten minutes and she started but when given gas she stalled out. I checked the oil, added oil and did the regular check up in order to think about what it might be.

I went back out and started the A4 again and pulled the choke and she would run fine so it was in need of carburetor attention. Trina pulled the side wall out and I adjusted the carb and let some of the fuel out of it while tapping lightly hoping if something was stuck in there it would cut loose.

This seemed to do the trick and it is running fine now but I am not sure why I had to adjust the idle mixture needle valve out two and a half turns instead of the two turns it was set at. Could it be the cold weather or the new motor just needed the adjustment after a long day running (12 hours)?

Today, with the wind and swell in our face all day we burned 14 gallons of fuel - 1.16 Gallons per hour still. We're a little baffled at the consumption, any suggestions there?

We leave here at twilight so we can get into Hampton Roads VA at a good time during the day tomorrow.

"The Devil never comes to you with a pitchfork and a ball of fire"