View Single Post
  #6   IP: 72.69.36.126
Old 05-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad75 View Post
I had a mechanic once tell me to always shut off the gas and run the carb dry. Would this solve the problem
I don't think so, except possibly at the end of the season before layup (if you live in a clime where that is necessary). Even that is going to have minimal effect.

I'm pretty sure the carb isn't even empty when the engine dies. There may still be a few teaspoons of fuel in the bottom of the float chamber that can't get sputtered up through the needle valve orifice. (My understanding is that this is the design of "updraft" carbs, which are different than the outboard carbs to which Joe_db may be referring.) The problem of contaminants left behind once that evaporates still exists. And you'd spend a lot more time hassling running the carb "dry" than you would periodically cleaning out the carb every 3-5 years as a preventative measure...or maybe never.

Installing a small "polishing filter" between the fuel pump and the carb, and run a healthy dose of StaBil in the fuel (I do that all the time), will ensure you've got the cleanest fuel in there in the first place.

Last edited by tenders; 05-12-2018 at 12:04 PM.