View Single Post
  #7   IP: 24.224.194.51
Old 05-07-2018, 12:35 AM
Afourian MVP

2 cents

The guys have mentioned the main culprits of a vibration. I'd check in this order.
1. Foreign object on shaft or prop...sometimes a plastic bag on the shaft is worse than a rope wrapped around it..underwater camera might get you a good look at things.
2. If folding prop it can be an issue. (I know you don't have one but will put this in incase someone reads this thread later)
3. Barnacles on prop...again needs to be checked.
4. Engine issues. I've issues with severe vibrations that were caused by incorrect plug wiring sequence and a bad coil. The coil was most common, I've seen a couple of them and it rattles so bad that the person thinks a bearing or something has gone in the gear box.
5. Cutlass bearing possible but it's generally something that gets worse over time, but not suddenly worse.

On a hunch, and the rattling you are describing...barring an obvious foreign object on shaft ...look very hard at the wiring, cap, plugs and coil. Believe it or not, the coil can make it happen but it usually runs well for about 10 minutes then the racket starts.

I think it was Joe Miller, one of our members here on the forum, that called me one time. He was headed on an excursion and the boat was acting up.
...was rattling, vibration etc. He pulled into our yacht club. We fooled around with a lot of things figuring that one out. New coil and went on his trip without any more issues.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 05-07-2018 at 12:52 AM.