Thread: Sooty Plugs
View Single Post
  #18   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 08-14-2019, 09:01 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtoSail View Post
Neil, I do have the test port in the exhaust flange, but I have not tested the back pressure. I have taken the sections apart to visually look for a blockage and found none. The water coming out of the transom batches normally, and when revving the engine it shoots rather surprisingly.
It's good information to know but with your exhaust volume report, probably not a priority right now.

Quote:
The float though...

My memory of the carb assembly procedure is to screw in the float seat, drop in the needle, and put the float on. Then verify that the float is resting parallel when held upside down. My float seat is screwed all the way in. I have always screwed it completely in, checked the float, and decided it looked parallel. When I take the carb apart I'll take a picture of this step. Does the float seat normally go all the way in, or does it usually get backed out some to make the float parallel?
It sounds to me like you did it right.

Quote:
As for floats leaking, do you mean them filling with gas and no longer floating, or the float valve not seating?
Yes and the former causes the latter. Remove the float, give it a shake next to your ear and listen for liquid sloshing around.

Please don't interpret my suggestions as derived from some mystical wisdom. I'm merely guessing as to what else might be causing your over rich mixture.

Newport 27, eh? What year? Unrelated, my step brother was a diving officer on a boomer.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 08-14-2019 at 10:37 PM.