Thread: Sooty Plugs
View Single Post
  #4   IP: 76.173.181.116
Old 08-09-2019, 12:43 PM

I have done nothing with the timing. Certainly could be contributing, as I believe I bought this problem with the boat.

Spark seems fine. The choke plate goes back horizontal when released. I actually don't have a cable to the choke, so I push and hold the lever back manually when cold starting. I almost immediately release the choke upon starting and then work the throttle down. She usually will die in idle until she's warmed up, which I believe is normal.

I spray the flame arrestor with carb cleaner when I clean the carb. Some amount of light can be seen through it when held up to a light. I'm not sure how clean that makes it, I've only seen one of them. I suppose I could test it by running the motor with the screen off and see if the mixture screw needs moving.

It may be worth noting that the plastic tube from the block down to the flame arrestor doesnt have that turn down, it just points straight out. If this is effecting the mixture at all, my guess is it would be a very minor effect.