View Single Post
  #5   IP: 76.22.107.152
Old 03-22-2009, 11:01 AM

Thanks for all the info so far. Regarding the stainless shaft, sometime ago I was given a used stainless shaft of the same diameter (1") but longer. I just kept it around in case I needed some good 1" round stock for something someday. Yesterday I got my old bronze shaft out and noticed some wear in the stuffing box and cutlass bearing area and I remembered I had the stainless shaft laying around. I would just have to shorten it and have a new key way cut. I don't really know which is best, bronze or stainless. Also, I have no way of knowing what grade of stainless it is but I checked and it is magnetic.

Aluminum, nickel, copper, etc., I think I'll look for a anti-sieze that is marine rated with no metal in it. The last thing I need on a 30 year old engine is more corrosion.

Another question: Whats the best stuffing box packing material? The boat came with a bunch of black rope flax of some sort, but I understand there are newer choices. Though seemingly expensive, Catalina Direct offers a "no-drip" material.

Mark