Thread: sudden stop
View Single Post
  #18   IP: 24.190.17.76
Old 08-26-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
It is pretty rare to lose both spark and fuel at the same time so rather than both let's see if either are deficient, we can chase the possible causes then.

No fuel in bowl
This is s fault in the fuel supply and delivery system external to the engine or possibly a stuck float valve. The recommended next test is to try running off an auxiliary tank.[COLOR=

Spark at the center coil wire but not at the plug
Possibilities are the rotor, distributor cap, plug wire or spark plug itself.

As long as you're there
It's easy to do a crude compression test by putting your thumb on a spark plug hole (plug removed of course) and cranking the engine. You should not be able to hold your thumb on the hole as the air pressure pushes against it.

All of the above three test good
My thoughts immediately go to timing.

I went to the boat to check : the carb bowl had gas and it leaked out when I opened the set screw ... the sediment bowl which , I had emptied yesterday is now full ( I assume from the cranking I don't know if the is good or bad )
The area under the flame arrestor was dry good or bad I don't know

I performed the thumb test and it was impossible to keep my thumb covering the hole on 1 and 2 ( I didn't do 3 and 4 )

I was all set to report NO spark from plug one and two or the primary from the coil .. when I realized I did not have the key ON ...( unfortunately I only realized this when I had already left the boat )

I was jumping from the starter motor.... and hadn't tuned the key .. Yesterday with the key on I was getting spark from the coil ..

so todays mission only confirmed gas in the bowl , gas in the sediment bowl
and I have compression .. but yesterday I did confirm I had spark from the coil .

I did however notice my water pump cover was leaking from the bottom screw oberdorfer type ...

so tomorrow I go back turn the KEY and check for spark a the plug ..

Tomorrow I'm calling Ken and ordering ..

impeller and new gasket or o ring

points . plugs condenser and coil ...

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame