View Single Post
  #10   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 10-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Tenders, I have used the baked plugs to start countless 2 strokes that were dropped over the side. With the water they trap it is about the only way to get the spark to jump. Virtually any moisture on the plug will ground the juice with no spark. Done this on many A-4's that back filled too, even mine 4 or 5 times.

It really works great, especially with water encroachment!

Did this with a lil 3.5 2 stroke that a friend dropped over just a couple weeks ago at Catalina. He and his buddy had been trying to start it for a while and nothing. Another in the bay whose I'd started in this manner told him to give me a shout. It would not even start on "motor crack". When I arrived I checked that the drained the carb and tank which they had and told him to fire up the stove, this really raised some eyebrows. First try it started and ran for about 3~5 seconds and the plug became wet again from the water still in the crank case and the rpm's of that first start pumps a lot of water out because of the rpm's. The second baking did the trick and she purred like she should. I also got a nice dinner from my efforts.

Dave Neptune