View Single Post
  #9   IP: 207.118.20.35
Old 08-09-2019, 01:02 PM
Afourian MVP

For checking the manifold, I've heard of two ways. One is to get a fitting for a Schrader valve like on tires, and a bicycle pump with a pressure gauge. Close off the other end of the manifold. Pressurize the manifold to (I believe) 20 psi, and if it holds that pressure for a long time you're ok. The other way is to blow through a hose in one end while the other end is closed. In the descriptive words of Ken at Moyer, make "your eyes bulge out" with your lung pressure, and listen for air escaping, and feel if the pressure lessens. That's what I did recently, and it felt solid, so I moved on. If the manifold is good and the oil is not milky, water may be siphoning back from the exhaust. This can happen with some exhaust systems when you crank the starter for a long time without the engine firing, and with the raw water not turned off. Was it running ok before you removed the carb? Is there water on the plugs? If the water was only in the choke area, you may be able to clean and reassemble the carb.
I recently had a milky oil problem, but compression was good, and manifold and block each held lung pressure, the engine ran, no water in the cylinders or carb, and my exhaust water jacket doesn't allow water back into the engine, so it turned out to be the shot seals and worn shaft on the water pump.