Thread: wit's end
View Single Post
  #15   IP: 72.185.251.137
Old 07-22-2015, 11:36 AM

MO>> it might be confusing because I initiated this thread with a non-starting engine but it is now running (was a combination of bad carb and blown head gasket): the issue I have now is the engine overheating. It is otherwise running very smoothly. You were right about the head gasket / rust in the manifold but now both the head and the manifold are clean and good.

DAVE >> Lol. It must be a mix between English not being my first language and being a poor mechanic. Thanks for clarifying! I am going to clamp this thing properly right now and see what happens.
Quote:
Did you check under the fitting at the end of the manifold?
What do you mean? I am doing my best but you should keep in mind that I am a much worse mechanic than I seem to be. What should I check / look for, and which fitting is the one "at the end" of the manifold ? I think I have 4 fittings on my manifold:
- 1 is a very small and key-like looking fitting (sort of a "T"), almost looks like it is supposed to spin or like a valve, it is on the main side of the manifold and I have no idea what it is and actually wouldn't mind finding out.
- 1 is a hose fitting, on the top on the same end as the thermostat housing. I believe it is part of the cooling system (it goes to my water heater, which is connected to the thermostat housing, and on pictures of other engines I saw it directly connected to the thermostat housing).
- 1 is another hose fitting, on the top on the exhaust side of the manifold. It is also part of the cooling system and it is where water exits the engine into the exhaust pipe I think.
- 1 is a larger hole, on the back side of the manifold. It connects directly to a large, non-flexible, aluminum looking duct that I believe is the exhaust.

Which one of those fitting are you talking about, and what should I look for under it?