Thread: ABYC Standards
View Single Post
  #82   IP: 199.173.226.236
Old 04-18-2012, 06:18 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,024 Times in 719 Posts
I used to sell and install marine reefers. I *know* my present system is not up to it without a lot of engine runtime.
BTW - I just did a little vacuuming and I saw - 6 amps when it was on, so I guess I got 44 amps out of the alternator. (50 amps total draw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
Even with the engine running what size alternator do you have to compensate for an 83 amp load and what's it's effective output at 2000 RPM? My 100 amp alternator dyno'ed at 50 amps @ 2000 RPM. That assumes a flat battery bank connected. A reasonable residual charge in the bank and the alt output will be less.

During periods when the boat is not in use and/or away from shore power as in the case of a mooring there's always an 'off' switch on refrigeration too. It can be reserved for weekends or cruises. It all depends on power management strategies, same as vacuuming.

I wasn't saying one is better or worse than the other. They're both heavy hitters when it comes to power consumption but much like the gas/diesel tug of war, refrigeration is often disdained while other heavy loads aren't.