Do you have a two or three blade prop, and does it fold, feather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 67c&ccorv
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Bought the Indigo 3-blade for my Corvette but I won't be in the water until July 22/09.

I will post any noticable differences with the new prop.

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Can you snap some pics of it installed on the boat? pics are always good!
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• msmith10
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2006

My c&c 30 came (used) with both the factory standard 11x7 fixed 2 blade prop and a Martec 12x5 folding (both factory recommended sizes and pitch for this boat). I have A4 direct drive. For the first 2 years I used the Martec which the po had been using, probably for several years. I was unhappy with the vibration and switched to the fixed prop. I used the fixed for several years then changed back this year, wondering if I'd get better sailing performance. Before reinstalling the Martec, I sent it to them for refurb. I have noticed the following:
        1. The prop is definitely smoother after refurb. Not as smooth as the fixed prop, but acceptable and much better than before.
        2. I get a little higher rpm out of the Martec, presumably due to its lower pitch, maybe less efficiency. This is a plus.
        3. I can't tell much difference in performance between the 2 props, but I don't use reverse for anything other than backing about 1-1/2 boat lengths out of my slip or slowing to a mooring ball. Reverse is certainly acceptable with the Martec. I can't tell much difference in a chop, but when it's really wavy, I sail, and if I really needed power in a chop or current, I'd try the Indigo, not either of my current props.
        4. I really can't tell about sailing performance. Too many variables. We've had an unusually windy summer on Lake Erie, so I've done little light air sailing this year, which is where the folder should make a difference. The Martec only cost me 2 seconds per mile on my PHRF rating.

All in all, I'm happy with the refurbed Martec and will leave it on unless I'm planning a long trip upriver (Detroit and St Clair Rivers where current can hit 3 knots or more for short distances) in which case I'll switch to the Indigo. If you do buy a used Martec, or have an older one, I'd definitely recommend spending the $250 or so to have it factory refurbed.
        Mark Smith
        1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
          Can you snap some pics of it installed on the boat? pics are always good!
          Here you go...and thank you Indigo for much improved slow speed handling (especially in reverse) and turbine smoothness while motoring!

What a difference (I don't care if I lose a knot while sailing...I need to be able to handle the boat to the dock and in those places and conditions where the sail is impractible)!

PS - forgot to mention we seemed to have left the "marbles in a tin can" (cavitation noise) at last seasons berth.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 07-26-2009, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• Rick_Powers
            • Dec 2008

2 blade, plenty of power

On a Catalina 27, I have a simple 2 blade prop.

With my now well running Atomic-4 engine, I regularly do over 6 mph (gps) at 2000 rpm. I have another 200 rpm to spare if I need extra power.

Reverse is fine, just allow for some prop-walk, then coast and correct.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Rick_Powers; 07-28-2009, 11:00 AM.
            Rick Powers
            Palo Alto, CA
            1976 Catalina 27

Comment

• rigspelt
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2008

Now that we're in the water and sailing, I'm getting a feel for the OEM two-bladed prop that came with this C&C 27. I don't have enough experience with it yet cruising in various weather to comment on that, but in the marina it works great, forward and reverse. Able to back into our slip fairly comfortably.
              1974 C&C 27

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

rigs,

I am feeling the same thing. For 85% of our motoring (when there is little or no wind!), the standard two-blade is fine. I am not so sure I am ready to carry around a 3-blade prop for that 10-15% of times when I would wish I had a little more punch. I'll just sail!
                -Shawn
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

Not sure why this came back up on the screen but I noticed something interesting. The two blade prop still seems to be the popular choice notwithstanding all the ballyhoo about the Indigo which even combined with 3 blade prop "other" does not outpoll the two blader. I guess this means the respondents are mostly the sailing purists who use the engine only where necessary. I feel like the powerboater with a sailboat. I like the 13x13 3 blade powerboat prop. I'd run a 4 blader if I could get one cheap. BTW more blades run truer and are more forgiving of misalignment.

Comment

• Trysail
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                    Not sure why this came back up on the screen but I noticed something interesting. The two blade prop still seems to be the popular choice notwithstanding all the ballyhoo about the Indigo which even combined with 3 blade prop "other" does not outpoll the two blader. I guess this means the respondents are mostly the sailing purists who use the engine only where necessary. I feel like the powerboater with a sailboat. I like the 13x13 3 blade powerboat prop. I'd run a 4 blader if I could get one cheap. BTW more blades run truer and are more forgiving of misalignment.
                    I think the reason there are so many two blades out there is because they where the original equipment.
                    I like my three blade because I don't race and I sometimes dock in unfamiliar places. Less prop walk and better stopping are important to me.
                    Current can be strong and tricky where I do my weekend cruising.
                    Even picking up a mooring can be a "fun" when single handing with a fresh breeze blowing against the current.
                    The Indigo three blade helps.

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

I need to modify my poll choice...I could give the Indigo another vote and the two-blade one less vote , & I agree with Trysail that the two blade is widespread because of its OEM nature.

It is funny how much my view of the Indigo changed from my August 2009 post, but so far it is great!
                      Last edited by sastanley; 08-16-2010, 01:06 PM.
                      -Shawn
                      sigpic

Comment

• finsol
                        • Feb 2007

propeller

Originally posted by Delphis
                        Looking for input on changing my propeller to the indigo three blade, a feathering prop, or a folding prop, wanted any input on the subject if you have time.

Cheers!
                        Have a used martec 2-blade folder installed this year. forward is very good , reverse makes the boat stop when I want it. maybe a touch more Vibration. I Have a used martec 2-blade with 1-inch diameter good and doesnt need refurbishing. Roald Respite C&C 27 # 271 917-923-4974

Comment

• smosher
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jun 2006

I've had both the 2 blade oem and the indigo. Indigo
                          gets the nod for less vibration, more power in forward and in reverse.

This is on a P30

Steve

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                            • Nov 2008

Two Blade Guys

I've heard of this drill but have never tried it.

When hauled out turn the prop shaft so the two blades of the prop line up with the keel and rudder. Mark the shaft inside the boat. When sailing turn the engine in gear until the mark lines up and the prop is in line with the keel & rudder.

Has anyone ever tried this?
                            What were the results? Did it incerase boat speed?
                            Is the drill worth while or a waste of time and effort?

TRUE GRIT
                            Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 09-16-2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

John, The P.O. (my father) of my boat had the prop marked this way. When we raced the boat when I was a kid, we always set the prop. Dunno if it made a difference, but I am sure it didn't hurt.

For those with a folder, you are supposed to mark it the opposite, when it is horizontal, so that a blade won't 'fall' open in light air sailing.
                              -Shawn
                              sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Mar 2010

Watching the way the percentages on the responses are coming it is clear the 2 blade is still in the lead by a wide margin. This surprises me since the 3 blade prop runs so much truer.

Comment

Working...
                                X