View Single Post
  #13   IP: 75.62.254.37
Old 06-27-2009, 12:05 PM

My cal 3-30 has a 2 to 1 reduction and the fixed 2 blade prop was the exact same size and pitch as the new martec folder. Mine is a 16/10 which is what was recommended by martec. I guess with the reduction a larger prop is needed. I would call martec directly and they will recommend the right size and pitch for your set up. If you don't have a reduction the prop size will be smaller. Diesels dont have reduction as they have more torque, so they usually call for a smaller prop usually with more pitch. Dont just put some random used folder on your boat unless your sure it is the exact right size. My folder works fine in forward and reverse and I dont seem to realize any difference between the fixed 2 blade I took off and the new 2 blade folder while motoring. I dont motor around much so I guess if you motor all the time and rarely sail a 3 blade fixed would be better. The sailing benefits/differences between a fixed blade prop and a folder can be rather subtle. An increase of sailing speed of .25 to .50 (maybe a little more) may not seem like a big deal when we are sitting here talking about it but that a huge increase when sailing for any distance in a race. In concluding I would pay the price again for my new martec folder. Once again just call martec and tell them what you have and they can dial it right in for you. Good Luck with it.

DVD