View Single Post
  #9   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 08-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Question Side bar

Hanley, you seem to be one of the resident electrical gurus and I would like to ask you a question. I have thought of upgrading my charging form stock and just found a Motorola 55amp. alternator under a pile of dune buggy parts.
It is set up for an external regulator and I am looking for a recomendation for an adjustable one. I tend to motor for 5~7 hours to my mooring ~ use the batteries for a few days (no refer.) ~ start the lil beastie for safety and sail off the mooring then shut her down for the sail home. I again start her for about 15~20 minutes to motor into the slip. There she sits usually for 2 weeks and the process begins again. I do not use shore power or a battery charger unless I leave something on and kill the "House side" 2-235 AH golf cart 6 volts. Note my start battery is a deep cycle grp 27 which usually stays off line except for the run to the island.
I would like a bit more than the stock alternator provides as sometimes when staying for a week my batteries will get low and I would like to speed up the recharge process (motor to the Isthmus for dinner or drinks ) of which I seldom need or do.

Dave Neptune