View Single Post
  #9   IP: 71.215.192.201
Old 10-12-2019, 01:43 AM
Afourian MVP

The cutless bearing is easy to get out on the T34. On mine there are 2 set screws holding it in. I use a threaded rod and an approximately 1 1/8 socket to pull the cutless.

I often pull the shaft so my coupling comes right off. But with all the room we have, it should be easy to get a puller in there if needed. If you will definitely replace the shaft then you can cut it, but why.

BTW my cutless bearing is a bonito model.

The packing hose that connects to the stuffing box can be obtained from Buck Algonquin. You can cut it to any length. As posted above the length can be changed to move the stuffing rubbing spot on the shaft. Make sure to get new clamps. I dont know what they are called, but get the best ones available.

To unbolt the coupling from the engine I use two combination wrenches. Just use one to hold the coupling from turning by putting it on a bolt and letting it hit the hull. Use the other wrench to turn another bolt. A straight bar can be used also.

You can take the stuffing box apart and get it working and greased up.

Funny I installed an Indigo prop in 2000 and have not removed it yet. I always just take out the shaft. I hire a diver to do the bottom and pull the shaft. I work on the prop while he does the bottom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to romantic comedy For This Useful Post:
ArtJ (10-15-2019), Dave Neptune (10-12-2019)