View Single Post
  #12   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 11-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,423 Posts
I have no direct experience with the MMI stainless version but based on their business model I have no doubt as to it's quality. That said, stainless waterlifts in general tend to develop pinhole leaks at the base seam weld because of metallurgical changes with the welding process coupled with long term internal salt water exposure. I have never heard of such leaks on an MMI product however.

With the Catalina 30 specifically, waterlift volume is a significant factor due to limitations of engine placement and exhaust design. Bigger is better in our case.

Does your exhaust hose have a swing check valve at the high point inside the port cockpit sail locker? Is it functioning? Can you hear it clacking when the engine is running? The valve is usually a bronze check valve with a steel pivot pin . Some time ago I noticed the clacking noise on mine abated indicating no-function so I replaced the valve with an all stainless one. Again specific to the Catalina 30, it's an important component.

Autopsy of the old valve showed the gate was stuck open.

Quote:
The MM [waterlift] appears to be about 1/4 the volume as the Centek
You might want to check your math. Using the Centek model I have recommended before (1500270), it's volume is 28% greater than MMI's stainless waterlift according to published dimensions.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 11-15-2018 at 11:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
sastanley (11-15-2018)