View Single Post
  #8   IP: 99.55.124.54
Old 11-13-2018, 09:12 PM

Hi All,

Resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one.

My '82 Catalina 30's stock, fiberglass water lift muffler (wlm) has sprung a leak (which will lead to a much longer, exhausting--pun-tended--thread later).

The question at the moment is suitability of the Moyer Stainless wlm versus either the Catalinadirect replacement or the Centek mentioned in ndutton's post above.

The stainless cannot have more volume than 198 cu inches and the Catalina is more than 4x that volume.

If I'm the only one starting the engine and I ALWAYS start it with the raw water intake closed, the volume shouldn't make a difference. BUT, if I FORGET or someone else starts the engine with it open, doesn't the lower volume of the stainless give me a much smaller margin of error for starting up?

Second question: Is there an appreciable volume (noise, this time) difference in the stainless versus the others?

Third and final question: Because the footprint is different, how many new holes will I need for the stainless? Part II: How appreciably different would the plumbing IN and OUT be versus the stock model?