View Single Post
  #10   IP: 24.224.195.189
Old 09-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Don't want to take anything away from the more robust Facet model that Moyer sells but I used the same Facet "cube" model mounted on bulkhead [lower than tank and at 45 degrees] for 20 seasons and just replaced it this last spring. Paper work showed the old model was advertised @ 2 to 4 psi and new one is 1.5 to 4 psi. The addition of fuel pressure gauge before the carb [thank you N Dutton] shows steady slightly less than 3psi. My 1966 early model A4 runs great with this set up. [Once in a great while I get a slight momentary hesitation and I hear pump start clicking]
The old pump with a filter worked well enough to pump out/clean the tank until it got clogged a couple of times. I read on the Facet web site that they call for a min 78 micron filter prior to the pump. I have always used a not so "kosher" hi impact glass filter [wrapped in foam] where I can periodically change out the 40 micron filter membrane [also like to see what's happening in the filter] A small metallic silver filter came with the pump and I opted not to use it due to its small size and unknown micron spec.
My only concern is that I have recently read old posts from Don and others to use 2 filters, 10 micron [or less] filters post tank AND pre carb. I am not sure that this little "cube" has the power to pull and push through this filtration, especially with old fuel tanks that are difficult to thoroughly clean. Guess there is a trade off.
Hi Sam, Those are good pumps. When I bought that pump and installed it I hadn't even heard of MMI. I'd bought the boat, refurbished or replaced just about everything on it in 2007. Being half decent at engines I'd left the "left for dead" engine until last. Took me a week or so to figure it out and I wandered through fuel system, ignition system, seized valves (removed cleaned and re-seated valves) and cooling systems to get it going. In the end, I find out about MMI and get online. It was there I was pointed to the exhaust manifold fracture that leaked and was putting water into cylinders / water into the oil /base pan. Learned allot about the Atomic 4 on that first go around with it. But my pump lasted 11 years...pretty good.

My pump has to draw fuel up and horizontal over near the cockpit floor, through a filter / water separator, then downhill to an inline filter just before the pump. From the pump there's a run of hose directly to the carb. The pumps come with a small filter but I don't use it and this is the second time I've had a fuel issue in 11 years...once was water in gas, the other was this failed pump. I think I did OK for 11 years

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 09-03-2018 at 10:35 PM.