View Single Post
  #5   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Afourian MVP

Talking Yay - coils!

Hi Kelly, Just for grins, can you measure the static resistance of the coil before you turn on the key? How many hours do you have on the new Flamethrower?

My 'dead' Flamethrower was in the 3.3 ohm range (I have to check my notes to confirm) at rest (cold), and 4.2 or 4.3 ohms when it would fail 25 minutes later. However, the voltage at the coil as the engine sputtered to a slow death never faltered from 13.94volts. No real way that I can tell to measure the secondary output voltage while the coil is active...except for a visibly weak spark that wouldn't start the motor again when I cranked it.

I need to measure my new coil after I've run the engine, with the key off, to see if the resistance stays constant or is the same as it was cold..which I think it should. I think the resistance went up and caused the bad coil to fail...or rather, the higher resistance at failure is a symptom of a 'fried' coil...I am purely guessing here that the resistance gets high enough that the coil can no longer produce a reliable secondary spark (to the plugs) and it dies. I would expect a good coil's resistance to stay constant.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 09-22-2011 at 10:14 AM.