View Single Post
  #76   IP: 70.186.109.11
Old 05-20-2018, 10:17 PM

Update after taking her out

Been a while since my last post. Thought I'd update whats happened and whats pending.

Found sink drain hose is not connected to anything. Just ends in mid air.
There IS a thru hull right under the sink, but its not connected. Go figure.

Found water tank outlet line not connected to the fresh water pump.
Looks like the plastic tubing just rotted away and broke off both ends.
Found the remains of it under the vberth.
This also leads to the question if the plastic water tank is still usable or not. Also found there is a water fill hose, but don't see where it disappears to under the vberth.

Found 2 thruhulls in the port lower front quarter(area of fresh water tank). There is a single line coming out of 1 thruhull and it runs into the 2nd thruhull in a loop. No idea what they are for.

Decided to go with mahogany to replace all 4 of the handrails(two internal, two external). Bought a mahogany board wide/long enough to make 3 rails of 93". Only spent $40 on it. Now need to scribe the pattern on it and cut it. One of the interior rails is 55" and will be made out of a single piece. Cabin handrail holes are sealed up till this is done.

Took the boat out expecting there to be little to no wind as it was nearly dead calm in the marina, but was pleasantly surprised to find there was a pretty darn good breeze.

Stats for today's trip, which lead to questions.
Time of trip - 2 hours 46 minutes.
Max knots - 6.0
Average knots - 3.4
Distance covered - 9.5 nautical miles..
Issues encountered - None(except boat leaned and some things fell off the cabinet!)

Where to captain? Just out there....somewhere. Ran with both sails up for the first time.

When I was leaving the marina, I decided to see how fast it goes under motor. I slowly advanced the throttle and quickly got to the point around 2000rpm where advancing it further made no difference. Its like 2000rpm is just how fast the motor will spin and that's it. Opened it full throttle. Motor would not go past that rpm. Timing was done by hand/sound when I got it running. Now it cranks up first time every time, but may not be set for optimum timing. Whats a typical safe operating rpm? Direct drive, no gear reduction. 12x8 folding prop.

Navionix says I do 5knots when running under max engine rpm.
You can see from the stats that the boat actually got to 6knots in the run. Not bad I think.

At one point, the boat leaned enough I was concerned the gas in the tank would all slosh over to the starboard side and the engine would suck air. Was getting close to the marina with engine running when a nice breeze went thru heeling pretty much down to the side rails for a few minutes. Only have about 5 gallons in a 12 gallon tank. Fuel intake is on the port side of the tank. Changed directions to straighten out the lean.

This last issue is a "i'm not sure its a problem yet".
The whole trip, the tranny worked flawlessly.
But I had issues trying to back the boat into the slip.

After having wind problems trying to get into the slip, I tossed a line to a friend to get the boat aligned correctly to the dock.
Then tried putting it in reverse. Felt normal, sounded normal, but the boat wouldn't move. Was mystified. Put it in fwd and got same reaction.

Must throw in the caveat that I was under heat stress at that time.
I also had hold of a line so the boat wouldn't get blown away from the slip.
Maybe just didn't realize my line was too tight for the boat to move.
Will test the fwd/reverse next time I get to the boat.

To do list.
Handrails
Sink drainage
Fresh water tank/pump/hose repair.
Max engine rpm(?)
Check/retime engine(?)

Ever since ya'll helped me figure out this motor, its been utterly reliable.
It cranks up first time every time. This is the first and only question I've had since it started running.
Hull #61
Atomic 4

Last edited by CajunSpike; 05-20-2018 at 10:31 PM.