• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by BadaBing View Post
    On a Tartan 30 the engine sits at a good angle leaning back, not sure how typical this might be for other boat types. Will that oil plug allow the draining from the back portion of the pan?
    The maximum installation angle for the Atomic 4 is 15° and not coincidentally the angle of the oil pan bottom from the oil pump to the output coupling is level at the maximum 15° mounting angle so yes, you should still be able to draw out the oil efficiently.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

RC
      Rat guards are shield like devices that go around lines. Search the internet by "rat guards". There are many kinds of them out there. They will keep the critters from climbing up the dock lines onto the boat.
      You can use a product called tangle foot to keep the ants from climbing up the dock lines.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Ajax
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
        Do none of you have access to the oil plug below the carburetor? It's 3/4" NPT and a 3/4" 12 point socket fits the square head perfectly. Through it you have a straight shot to the bottom of the oil pan and can fit a decent size pickup tube.
        That's how I've been doing it. With a little fiddling, I can draw 4 solid quarts out of the engine.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

As long as we are talking about the port intended for oil extraction, Thatch has a clever enhancement for the threaded plug, a rare earth magnet extended to the bottom of the crankcase.
          Attached Files
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California

Comment

• BadaBing
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
            As long as we are talking about the port intended for oil extraction, Thatch has a clever enhancement for the threaded plug, a rare earth magnet extended to the bottom of the crankcase.

Great Idea
            We should nominate Thach for some sort of an award.
            Where did he purchase the magnet?
            Bill
            1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
            www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

I waited for it to go on sale and bought the West Marine oil extractor (and there are lots of others available). It builds up a vacuum with a few pumps, then you crack a beer and just babysit the tube in the hole with your free hand.

I got this on one of their Friday e-mail sales for about $40. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...6-5l--11047123

One of my best boat investments, ever.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Originally posted by BadaBing View Post
                Great Idea
                We should nominate Thatch for some sort of an award.
                Where did he purchase the magnet?
                Thatch has quite a few very cool innovations/improvements. It's part of why he is so highly regarded around here. As for his magnet source, it's best if he provides that info himself. My guess is probably All Electronics, one of his favorite candy stores.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                X