View Single Post
  #32   IP: 50.104.123.38
Old 09-24-2011, 07:17 AM

Hot Coil

Have read above discoveries with interest. I changed to Pertronix EI a few years /ago and also bought Moyer stock coil, said to work with EI, ie 3 amps. Big improvement, but was concerned about how hot the coil got. Coil ran hotter than adjacent engine block and could be touched only momentarily.

Two years ago switched from ammeter in start panel to voltmeter to discover 15-16v. My original regulator started to ooze black mastic sealant. This was about time that Shawn recommended the adjustible voltage Transpo through ASE which I also installed and gave 14.2 out of box and was a direct bolt on replacement. Also resulted in full battery charging, 12.8 volts at rest. Based on others experience above, I'm still concerned about the coil heat, so have now ordered a 0.8 external ballast resistor to suppliment just in case. Can't measure coil temperature but hoping to note cooler to the touch operation. Was also thinking of wrapping the coil with aluminum with fins folded in for greater head dissipation.