Thread: Running Cold
View Single Post
  #7   IP: 70.108.152.226
Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Afourian MVP

Tom,

I had a similar problem because everything was corroded and water passed around the housing port and the head seat. The new kit - and a new head and a new manifold (hopefully not your case) - fixed my problems. [It's a long story] But my initial problem sounds a lot like yours. I suspect you have a bad thermostat, as suggested here by others. Somehow, water keeps flowing through the block. It really doesn't matter how cold the intake water is, if the thermostat stays shut, the engine will heat up.

The boiling pot and a thermometer is a very good way to check thermostat operation. I also used this technique to test overtemp sensors and identified two bad ones this way.

dvd,

After I fixed my first A4 problem, described above, I had a problem like yours. The new problem was fixed with a new manifold ($) which was caked up big time. A new head ($) improved things further. There's nothing like money to fix things up. I still haven't figured out how I could have had both problems (too cold and too hot), but there you go. You would think they would have cancelled each other out. It works like a champ now.

S