View Single Post
  #46   IP: 67.149.7.16
Old 06-20-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatch View Post
Loosing the oil rapidly and having it show up in the exhaust is very odd. It suggests a breach between the pressurized oil gallery (high pressure) and a water jacket (low pressure). A block pressure test should verify or eliminate this theory. I wonder if Don has ever run across this situation?
Tom
Terry the mechanic, who knows the engine well, refuses to diagnose it without looking at it first (a sane position) and he'll have it by this afternoon.

His starting view though is that 3 quarts of oil don't disappear ... if it's not in the bilge, it's going out through the engine system somehow; meaning, I think, that he still suspects the rings.

I'll know more after he looks at it and runs the compression test as suggested by Jerry.

I'm convinced that the problem and solution are both likely well beyond my skills/resources/time.

I anticipate a lot of cost, but I don't want to lose any more of the season than I already have and I have some confidence in this mechanic and team. They have rebuilt may of the A4's that we use in our MarkI C+C35 racing group here (Detroit) and are well vetted.

I'll post more as I learn more following Terry's (mechanic) diagnosis.

Thanks as always,
rob