Thread: bent shaft
View Single Post
  #7   IP: 24.53.89.131
Old 06-14-2018, 07:28 AM
Afourian MVP

I think I was not 100% clear in describing the problem. I could not get the coupling to slide over the raised ridge on the output flange.

Last night I was able to clean up the inside of the coupling sufficiently to get it on. Some fine tuning of the engine alignment ensued once I was able to properly measure the gap between the flange and the coupling.

Tightened it all up and wobble all gone. Powered up in forward and no vibration.

And, staring me in the face while doing this was the nut that holds the shaft coupling on with a lovely little hole in it waiting for the wire that I bought two years ago, so I got that job off the to do list as well.

Cajunspike - I believe that access to the propeller shaft on the E29 is similar to that on the E27 - but probably not quite as bad as the E27! As part of this saga, I was replacing the rear oil seal and thrust bearing. To do that, I lifted the engine into the cabin. Accomplished this by placing a 2x8 across the companionway hatch slides and attached a pulley system to that. We were easily able to hoist the engine and slide the 2x8 along to help us move the engine fore and aft. We lined the sole of the cabin with a good tarp and placed some sturdy boards on top of that to take the weight. I did this work with my 23 year old daughter helping me.

If I had to replace the propeller shaft coupling on my boat I would pop the engine into the cabin. You do have to disconnect a few things - including the exhaust - to do this but once you get it out you will have excellent access to that coupling.

Peter

PS - thanks to all who provided insights and suggestions!