• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Surcouf
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2018

Battery Charger life expectancy

So after a nice day of sailing, engine would not start while getting back to the marina... had to display sailor abilities and dock with sails on teh outside dock.

So bottom line:
    - battery charger is dead, a nice "bump" on it

- the Captain (me) was wrong is his understanding of the 2 batteries switch, always starting on the engine battery and charging the small "house" one.
    - the voltmeter on the engine panel was dead, preventing me to check voltage of each battery (now changed)
    So all 3 together lead you to a engine-less docking...

So my questions:
    - The battery charger was 18 years old. Is that a typical life expectancy for such equipment?
    - see below picture of the "engine harness plug" (not sure how to describe that). There is some corrosion getting there. How hard is that to replace it? what are those cables/instruments ? What material is needed?

Thank you!!!
    Attached Files
    Surcouf
    A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Everything engine related goes through that plug and there's another one at the instrument panel end of the wiring harness. By everything it means all the charging power, ignition and starting circuits too. My point is let's be careful to find the real problem and not jump to conclusions.

The pictured plug is a problem. It and its mate at the panel need to be removed from the wiring harness. That should be done first. The pictured charger may or may not be functional but it is unrelated to charging underway and from your post sortie report, you were not charging underway.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      • Nov 2008

BATTERY->WIRING->STARTER

Originally posted by Surcouf View Post
      So after a nice day of sailing, engine would not start while getting back to the marina... had to display sailor abilities and dock with sails on teh outside dock.
      !
      Question: "The engine would not start". Would the engine turn with the starter?

With the heavy duty corrosion evident maybe the big wires that carry electricity from the battery to the starter are in such poor shape that they cannot carry sufficient electricity to the starter to turn the engine. The takeaway is that the batteries & charging system may not be the problem.

As Neil posted; further facts and analysis's needed before any conclusions are drawn.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

That plug is
        As for the battery charger, I have one from the 1970s that still works. It is pretty crude, but it will get a dead car going. The newer ones......not so much. 18 years isn't bad for what you get now.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          • Jan 2007

Looking at the plug I would be more worried about an electrical fire. Some of those wires got to be getting hot with that connector. The other connector may be just as bad.

Once that was fixed I'd start checking the charging both charger and alt off the motor.

Dave Neptune
          Last edited by Dave Neptune; 06-29-2018, 02:03 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

• capnward
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2012

If you are getting a new battery charger, I recommend the Newmar PT-7 or PT-14. Commercial fisherman use them. Mine ran flawlessly for over ten years of nearly continuous use until the fan in it started wearing out and making noise, so I replaced the fan. That was 5 years ago. I didn't have much luck with the the chargers encased in black plastic with no fan. The one that I replaced had lasted 2 years. I'm surprised yours lasted 18 years.

Comment

• Administrator
              MMI Webmaster
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
              Looking at the plug I would be more worried about an electrical fire. Some of those wires got to be getting hot with that connector. The other connector may be just as bad.

Once that was fixed I'd start checking the charging both charger and alt off the motor.

Dave Neptune
              +1! Yikes!

Comment

• Hawkeye54
                • Mar 2017

Battery charger --

Please take a real close look at the red and yellow wires on the left side of that plug - it appears the insulation is split and the wires may have overheated.

Comment

• Surcouf
                  • May 2018

plug

Thank you all for your comments and help.
                  I have purchased a new charger (120$ cheap one), but not installed yet (made the mistake to purchase one with a 110V plug, and not the pre-fabricated fittings for the back of the panel... that is what happens when you try to do 25 things at the same time). It is finally (very) warm in New England, and I really do not want to miss a day of sailing. So I use my garage battery charger when docked in the meantime.

I had already 2 years ago disconnected / cleaned / brushed all large section wires to / from batteries / starter and all grounds. But not small section ones.

This is not an excuse of course, but that plug has been like since I have the boat... so in order to change it, the questions:
                  - where do you find this type of plug, or a replacement one that you would recommend? I could not find it in the electrical section of MM catalog.
                  - should the one from the panel be replaced with a different one? Or same as this one?

thank you!!!
                  Surcouf
                  A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

The plug should not be replaced, it should be eliminated along with its mate at the panel, the reason you'll never see one in the MMI catalog. The quick solution is to cut the wires close to the plug and reconnect them with butt splices. The Rolls Royce solution is to completely replace the 40 year old wiring harness in its entirety. Here are a few posts you may find helpful:

Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Antibes
                      • Jun 2011

I bought the charger with 110 plug and like it. I added a gfi plug next to it off the shore power. When on the hard I can use it to charge the batteries from the boat yards power outlets. Very useful for my climate

Comment

• roadnsky
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                        The plug should not be replaced, it should be eliminated along with its mate at the panel, the reason you'll never see one in the MMI catalog. The quick solution is to cut the wires close to the plug and reconnect them with butt splices. The Rolls Royce solution is to completely replace the 40 year old wiring harness in its entirety.
                        Just to stay on point here...

Neil's advice is spot on.
                        Please read the links and follow the pro-offered advice.
                        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                        sigpic
                        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          • Nov 2008

One can seal the plug halves to keep moisture out by wrapping them with electricians tape or by using silicone goop.
                          When I rewired I went for the Marazziti plan. I eliminated the "trailer" plugs completley by running a single wire from A->B with no plug in between. All end connectors are crimped, slodered, and heat shrunk. I've had no wiring probelems since.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                          X