View Single Post
  #10   IP: 73.229.9.254
Old 01-21-2018, 01:42 PM
Aforian MVP

Hi Neil! I figured you'd drop by before too long. As always you hit the nail on the head, and our Catalina is no exception to the laundry list of standard "old Catalina 30" deficiencies. We're only partially through the list of remediations and unfortunately most of the chainplate repair work will need to wait until we have a running, reliable, Atomic 4 able to assist us in getting back up to the boatyard. (We've apparently discovered the limit of the "unlimited" BoatUS towing insurance. More on that later)
Quote:
Lower chainplates - if you have the U bolt style you're good. If they are the square top single hole style they need to be changed ASAP, available from Catalina Direct
We have the original square-top, single hole to be addressed:
Name:  rsz_colfax_chainplate_tabs.jpg
Views: 3201
Size:  131.1 KB

For any new Catalina 30 owners possibly in the audience, here's a thread that provides a good summation of why the original chainplates deserve attention
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...rprise.180844/
so this doesn't happen...
Name:  chain_plate_corrosion.jpg
Views: 2916
Size:  15.5 KB

Quote:
Wood spreaders - must be checked for rot especially at the inboard ends under the aluminum cheek plates. Some owners convert to aluminum (Catalina Direct again), others replace with wood.
Ours are the original (sitka spruce?) wood. I don't have any pictures of those to share because most of our immediate problems have been below deck, in the general vicinity of the engine compartment so that's been the majority of my photojournalism efforts. I plan on replacing the wood with the aftermarket aluminum spreaders whenever we end up taking the mast down.
Quote:
The engine harness trailer plug you've already seen - you have at least two in the harness, possibly a third. Get rid of 'em.
Already gone like the 2017 Broncos playoff hopes All of our wiring was especially atrocious (yes that’s a wire nut used as a splice) so those got replaced early in the project. More on that later.Name:  Bad engine wiring harness.jpg
Views: 3505
Size:  144.4 KB

Quote:
Aft lower knee bulkheads - known for rot and yours are the originals. Better check the main bulkhead while you're at it.
Ours aren't too bad. Pictures to follow.
Quote:
Mast compression post support in the bilge - known to rot as well.
Yep, we've got the rot and the associated compression post/mast settling. That'll be addressed when the mast comes down.
Quote:
Anti-siphon between the engine and the exhaust hot pipe is missing. The factory installed one, looks like whoever did the engine work removed it. Good way to backflood an engine.
That's all done too. I'll probably have pictures and the story for that somewhere around upcoming post #356. Haha
1979 Catalina 30 #1497
An old Airline Pilot proverb: "If we don't help each other nobody else will."

Last edited by Launchpad McQ; 01-24-2018 at 12:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Launchpad McQ For This Useful Post:
Administrator (01-24-2018)