Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeaHarlequin
    • Nov 2019

Guiding a stick to access the low part of the tank is great idea; now that you mention it, I think I recall seeing a tank access plate which would make that idea a breeze.

I did have issues with the OPSS once before, I'll re-check that.

Thank you for the reminder about the auxiliary tank. I don't have an extra tank so hopefully I can pinpoint the issue and resolve it before I need to buy one.

Comment

• hpweisse
      • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Few years back I had a similar problem a day after riding through a rough storm - lost rpm and engine would die and retart/run and repeat. I did not think it was fuel related because of recent fill up. I drained the tank and shined an inspection light into it and was amazed at the crud/gunk on the bottom. I started there- cleaned the tank repeatedly, updated the fuel lines to A1 low permutation [needed for ethanol], new fuel filter, changed the electric fuel pump [there is built in a filter inside], cleaned the carb AND most importantly added a 0-15psi fuel pressure gauge. This will help with any diagnostics regarding fuel vs spark.
      And only use Marine or non-ethanol gas. Ethanol is water absorbant, especially if it sits a few weeks. Look for tank stations posting ‘non-ethanol gas,’ or fill up at the gas docks.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by hpweisse View Post
        And only use Marine or non-ethanol gas. Ethanol is water absorbant, especially if it sits a few weeks. Look for tank stations posting ‘non-ethanol gas,’ or fill up at the gas docks.
        http://pure-gas.org - I would not guarantee that 'marine gas' is E-zero.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by hpweisse View Post
          For the ethanol alarmists, I've run on a steady diet of E-10 (10% ethanol blend) for 15 years with only a single fuel related shut down and it had nothing to do with ethanol.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Jan 2007

I too ran on E-10 right up until I sold the boat and never an issue with the "fuel". I did have one fuel failure at the dock when my mechanical pump shot craps. I LOOKED AT THE FUEL PRESSURE GUAGE for diagnosis and it read zero. Twenty minutes later we were on our way to Catalina with no OPSS and a "hot wired electric pump.

The problem with the E-10 is not the fuel but how long it is stored. Some boats use the engine just to get in an out of the slip so a tank may actually last a few years. Those who cruise a lot like me use up the fuel long before any problems occur.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
            X