View Single Post
  #14   IP: 24.130.94.17
Old 05-31-2020, 11:03 PM

Agreed! That's a beautiful boat! It's surprising how much larger the interior looks considering mine is "only" a foot smaller. I like the quality of your cabinet work! You also reminded me I need to get my boat painted. In my defense, most of the scuff marks are from the previous owner although I can claim responsibility for one (or two, but let's not quibble).

Today, I cleaned out the carb. A few months ago, I sprayed carb cleaner into the openings but didn't disassemble it. Today, I disassembled it, taking care preserve the gasket, and in addition to shooting carb cleaned into orifices, used a thin wire to clean the idle jets, and then hit everything, including all inlets, with an air compressor.

Now that I've done it, I don't know why I took so long to do so. I was a bit apprehensive but in seeing how easy it was, I'd recommend it for anyone contemplating it. Of course, if I've somehow hosed the entire carb, I may end up eating those words.

I had a full face mask on, took care to try to predict where the carb cleaner would go, and I still got surprised twice by splash back so that's something I'd strongly recommend for someone approaching it for the first time -- that carb cleaner goes in surprising directions: BE CAREFUL and protect your eyes.

Hopefully, I can just slap the carb into the boat next weekend and go sailing!

My current plan is to try to run the fuel tank down to <5gal then extract the remainder into a container and hopefully get most of any dregs/particulate off the bottom. I'm hoping to let that sit for a while undisturbed and see if I can find water or particulate in the container. I'm also planning on replacing the old fuel lines then trying to inspect them for hairline cracks as I bend them. Hopefully between those two actions, I can reasonably infer the culprit(s). Ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.