View Single Post
  #12   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 04-15-2019, 09:31 PM
Afourian MVP

JSM,
Check the flange where the exhaust attaches to the manifold. It just might be a recent one and have a 1/8 NPT female for checking back pressure. If it doesn't, you may want to order one from Don.
Exhaust will take you a day to rebuild. Black iron pipe is not expensive and you can try different nipple lengths to find what works for your boat. Keep a record, as down the road 6 years or so you may want to re-do it in stainless.
What you do NOT want to do is what I did. Wait for it to fail during a trip, get towed into a marina, then pay the marina for parts and labor. The tow was under insurance, but parts and labor at the marina were about $1200. I think I split the cost with the new owner.
I'll add that the $1200 was not out of line. Mechanic was on board at 0730, and we were under way at 1630. He looked at the situation, said "Atomic 4, no problem. Did this same job 4 years ago." And off he went. Removed everything, replaced bad with new stainless, reinstalled, and wrapped. Class A job.
TowBoat had wanted to take us back to New Bedford, but I held out for Marion (Burr Bros.). Took a double tow. I think the New Bedford fix would have been a soup can and a couple of hose clamps - no thanks.

Last edited by Al Schober; 04-15-2019 at 10:17 PM. Reason: I'll add..