View Single Post
  #6   IP: 73.83.157.183
Old 05-12-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
A two stage cooling system pressure test will tell you if an engine is viable or scrap metal.
  • Stage 1 - Test the entire system excluding the water pump. If it holds pressure, you're good. If not, proceed to . . . .
  • Stage 2 - Test the manifold separately. If it doesn't hold pressure, good. The manifold is easily replaceable. If it holds pressure, the block must be considered junk.
This testing protocol is not 100% conclusive but close enough for a quick assessment.
I'll read up on this. I've done many compression tests but never a cooling pressure test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
That means there should be some budget left for engine work and whatever else is needed. Where did that $10K repower figure come from? Are you including a professional Rolls Royce mechanic to do the work?
Got 3 mechanics to quote the project. They used Moyer Marine to price replacement engines. Roughly $6,000 for a new engine and $3,000 for old A4 removal, shipping, and complete installation.

A perfectly good Catalina 30 with a running motor can be found for roughly $10k in this area so there's only so much I can justify before I'm in too deep.