• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Looks like I missed a request.
    Here is a picture of the locker looking in the cockpit locker. It hold 2 11 pounders. It is mounted on a platform that hinges to allow the locker to lay down so I can remove the top and access the cylinders. The deck plate gives me access to the valve for the inboard cylinder. There is the usual solenoid for the hoses and vapor sniffer and alarm. There is a vent at the bottom, that was molded in. It goes to a thru hull above the water line. The PO installed this locker. I added the deck plate.
    Attached Files

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

That is pretty much identical to what our surveyor said would never be able to be insured. If there is a propane leak, as soon as you open that container you have a boat full of propane
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

That is good to know. I wonder if any propane installation meets specs.
        I would guess the propane would drain out the thru hull. But also a top vent would help to let air in and propane out.

I was never sure of the locker, that is why I put the deck plate in. I turn it on when I needed it and off when I am done. Of course the tank can vent or leak.

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

A tiny slow leak will go out the drain. Anything but the tiniest leak will produce some pressure, which might get past the seals on the top. Propane is heavier than air, but not by much and gasses diffuse. It is not like a water tank that can only leak out of the top if the drain is clogged.
          If the tank has any kind of major leak at all, large quantities of propane will be coming out of there the second the top is opened. Speaking of which, that access port was never designed to hold back explosive gasses.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

I think if the top opening were at deck level rather than inside the boat combined with the overboard bottom vent you'd be good, at least arguable. Here is a poor picture of a compliant locker showing the top opening open above deck level. My friend's Ericson is configured the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane locker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	198058

As for the small 1 lb. containers, storage in a foredeck anchor locker meets the requirements at least in spirit.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

That is how all factory propane locker are set up that I have ever seen, they open to the exterior of the boat, not inside of it.
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• romantic comedy
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

Opening to deck or cockpit level would be a better way to go.

I dont see how any pressure could build when the locker is vented to atmosphere. If there was a catastrophic failure I could see some pressure momentarily.

I am not trying to defend my locker. The locker is sealed with an oring that is not really air tight and the locker is flexible, so it is not air tight. The thru hull would be underwater when heeled.

are the new installations vented at the bottom? I assume that they are cockpit lockers, and any spillover would go into the cockpit?

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                  are the new installations vented at the bottom? I assume that they are cockpit lockers, and any spillover would go into the cockpit?
                  Vented at the bottom, yes. The vent goes through the hull, not into the cockpit if that's what you meant. Section A-1.8 on page 4 of the ABYC reference in post #2 of this thread addresses the locker installation in detail.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

What does it do then
                    I *tiny* leak *might* drain out the bottom, but as mentioned earlier, gasses are not water and you will have propane leaking out of that thing if you have a leak of any significance.. I would be buying a gas detector ASAP and/or moving that tank outside.

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                    Opening to deck or cockpit level would be a better way to go.

I dont see how any pressure could build when the locker is vented to atmosphere. If there was a catastrophic failure I could see some pressure momentarily.

I am not trying to defend my locker. The locker is sealed with an oring that is not really air tight and the locker is flexible, so it is not air tight. The thru hull would be underwater when heeled.

Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• romantic comedy
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

All good info.
                      I have a leak sensor in the locker and one in the bilge.

Right now I have the locker out of the boat as I am doing all sorts of repairs and maintenance. I think I can live with my installation, but it certainly is not perfect.

Comment

• Vermonstah
                        • Jan 2014

this forum always provides me with valuable info, especially in areas I have never considered.

Propane tanks - I don't have one and could not imagine needing one on my little vessel.

But, I do have a couple 1 lb. bottles of "Coleman propane fuel" for my Magma grill. My boat actually came with 2 grills and 2 bottles. I disposed of the 2 bottles that came with the boat since I could not verify their integrity. Bought 2 new bottles last year, but have yet to use them. The grill mounts on the stern rail, so cooking from the cockpit puts one in close proximity to the bottle / grill if ever there was a problem.

Couple of questions here, hopefully still relevant and pertinent to this thread:
                        1. Does anyone have any experience to share using these propane bottles aboard?
                        2. What are safety precautions to take prior to use? Can they be tested safely?
                        3. Proper storage aboard the boat?

Thanks!

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

I think a boat WITHOUT one of these grills would be an oddity.
                          They need to be stored outside someplace so they won't leak into the inside of the boat. Some people make holders out of PVC pipe.
                          There is no way to test these I know of, I throw them away if they manage to get too rusty before they run out of gas.

Originally posted by Vermonstah View Post
                          this forum always provides me with valuable info, especially in areas I have never considered.

Propane tanks - I don't have one and could not imagine needing one on my little vessel.

But, I do have a couple 1 lb. bottles of "Coleman propane fuel" for my Magma grill. My boat actually came with 2 grills and 2 bottles. I disposed of the 2 bottles that came with the boat since I could not verify their integrity. Bought 2 new bottles last year, but have yet to use them. The grill mounts on the stern rail, so cooking from the cockpit puts one in close proximity to the bottle / grill if ever there was a problem.

Couple of questions here, hopefully still relevant and pertinent to this thread:
                          1. Does anyone have any experience to share using these propane bottles aboard?
                          2. What are safety precautions to take prior to use? Can they be tested safely?
                          3. Proper storage aboard the boat?

Thanks!
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                            • May 2010

Can't take credit for anything other than Google chops... Std 4" PVC waste pipe and fittings.
                            Attached Files
                            Jeff

sigpic
                            S/V Bunny Planet
                            1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                              • Nov 2008

Jeff
                              Great idea for storage and transport of gas cylinders on a boat.
                              IMO the gas in the cylinders should be odorized.

R\E the "over the side" grills: If you do literally use it over the side of the boat dinner has a nasty habit of falling in the water. Over the boat is much better.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Vermonstah
                                • Jan 2014

Jeff - i will give that a try. I like that better than having those bottles aboard
                                floating loose in a locker somewhere, which is how the PO had them.

Comment

Working...
                                X