View Single Post
  #1   IP: 24.189.38.112
Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 PM

still have reversing gear problems.

During the spring,while hauled out I tried fixing the reversing gear. I had difficulty taking off the rear nut, thinking I would just buy the whole thing from Moyer and put it back in, but it was harder than that. I got to the point where I took the engine out of the boat to work on it. I had difficulty getting to the reversing gear from a sail locker in my C&C 29, feet twisted under the motor (falling asleep) so I took it out and put it in the main cabin. I got everything aligned while in the main cabin. I got the plates into the groves, and the thing going smoothly into forward. so I put it back.
well last month I went into the water, put it into forward and the gear shifter went into place, but as I gave it gas, I only went one knot max. Fortunately I had a breeze and sailed to my mooring. I got to the mooring to see what it could be, I thought I may have had a rope around the prop. or my martec folding prop wasn't opening. but that was not the case. I put it in gear and I was able to move the shaft. It seems something is missing. I got the reversing gear tape but It did not address this problem. Help. I wanna go sailing but I want to have the motor just in case.... I live on Long Island and sometimes the wind dies and I dont go.