X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keithems
    • Feb 2008

i have direct drive

is it rough surfaced on one side? could it be that it's contained inside another bearing or disk and did not come loose when i went in to change the rear oil seal?

i did not disassemble everything...just enough to get at that seal
    keithems
    [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• 13jeff13
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by keithems View Post
      i have direct drive

is it rough surfaced on one side? could it be that it's contained inside another bearing or disk and did not come loose when i went in to change the rear oil seal?

i did not disassemble everything...just enough to get at that seal
      Its probly still butted up against the permanent washer where it belongs. The convex and concave kind of cause a sticking together withe the oil. If you put your hand in there and scratch the permanent washer with your finger you might feel the groove between it and the spacer.
      Last edited by 13jeff13; 06-10-2012, 01:50 PM.
      With Powerboats, it's about the destination. With Sailboats, you are already there.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
      1973 Grampian 30', Full Keel, A4 aux.
      sigpic

Comment

• keithems
        • Feb 2008

i have a convex / concave assembly, which i thought held the old oil seal...so i took that out when replacing the seal....still have it though

it is a bit confusing because the replacement seal is open on the side facing forward [toward trans and motor]--fits perfectly into the large seal holder however....the convex concave assembly which held the old seal is closed on each side...

so is that it? should i put it back in? ..not sure it will fit with the new seal in there as well

do you have a pix? sounds like i may have to call ken and/or just order that piece.
        keithems
        [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• 13jeff13
          • Jan 2011

i have a convex / concave assembly, which i thought held the old oil seal...so i took that out when replacing the seal....still have it though

it is a bit confusing because the replacement seal is open on the side facing forward [toward trans and motor]--fits perfectly into the large seal holder however....the convex concave assembly which held the old seal is closed on each side...

so is that it? should i put it back in? ..not sure it will fit with the new seal in there as well

do you have a pix? sounds like i may have to call ken and/or just order that piece.
          The original rear oil seal was solid the new 1 is open on the transmission side. Just passed that is where the big bearing goes and it fits into a recessed area. Then there would be that spacer. if you have a magnet drag it around in the bottom of the oil pan it may have fell off.
          With Powerboats, it's about the destination. With Sailboats, you are already there.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
          sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by 13jeff13 View Post
            The original rear oil seal was solid the new 1 is open on the transmission side. Just passed that is where the big bearing goes and it fits into a recessed area. Then there would be that spacer. if you have a magnet drag it around in the bottom of the oil pan it may have fell off.
            I get off work at 4 and im home by 410 I will pos.t some pictures.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
            sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
              • Jan 2011

Actually there is a woodruff key that would prevent it from coming off if you did not remove the woodruff key it should still be on the shaft
              Last edited by 13jeff13; 06-10-2012, 03:02 PM. Reason: wrong term

Jeff

S/V Karinya
              sigpic

Comment

• keithems
                • Feb 2008

the key to the solution

thank you!

do you mean the woodruff key [#11 in the diagram]? if so, i never removed it.

pix would be great however. i'm going over to the boatyard now and will look at it again...back in 3-4 hrs.
                keithems
                [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• 13jeff13
                  • Jan 2011

Nope not there...but look in the Moyer marine catalog under overhaul section then reversing gear and it is called a beveled spacer
                  The spacer would be between number 11 and number 2 on shaft 10. Per your diagram.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                  sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
                    • Jan 2011

thank you!

do you mean the woodruff key [#11 in the diagram]? if so, i never removed it.

pix would be great however. i'm going over to the boatyard now and will look at it again...back in 3-4 hrs.
                    YES. Woodruff... here at work we just call them key stock. If you never removed it that washer/spacer could not have came off.
                    Last edited by 13jeff13; 06-10-2012, 03:00 PM. Reason: typo

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                    sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
                      • Jan 2011

Here are the Pics I promised, Although by now I bet you have found your answers.
                      Attached Files

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                      sigpic

Comment

• keithems
                        • Feb 2008

did it!

yes...based on your info, i decided it was already on

fortunately, maybe cuz this is a fresh water area, i only had to tap, as don says, the outlet coupling to get it where i could put the nut on and tighten it down all the way.

which i did, and all seems fine there

thank you again

rather than totally hijack this thread, i will continue my reassembly saga in my original thread re. "best place to reassemble engine"

i don't feel i hijacked this thread too badly, however, since my queries so far have concerned details on rear seal / output coupling r&r, which, to some extent is what this tread is about.
                        Last edited by keithems; 06-11-2012, 03:24 AM. Reason: relocate non pertinent material to my original thread
                        keithems
                        [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• jpian0923
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2010

Not sure if this video would help but, here it is:

[YOUTUBE]K4CCzYqctv0[/YOUTUBE]
                          "Jim"
                          S/V "Ahoi"
                          1967 Islander 29
                          Harbor Island, San Diego
                          2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• 13jeff13
                            • Jan 2011

yes...based on your info, i decided it was already on

fortunately, maybe cuz this is a fresh water area, i only had to tap, as don says, the outlet coupling to get it where i could put the nut on and tighten it down all the way.

which i did, and all seems fine there

thank you again

i then passed [sic] away several hours trying to take the accessory drive apart to make sure it's clean and sealed before i put it on.

no success, does anyone know how to take it apart? i've done it before, so i know it can be done; just don't remember...

then near sunset, i consumed my liguid diet [bourbon], hooked up a few halyards to the motor, and hoisted her into the cockpit. [yay!] it took quite a while and in hindsight, i see why people usually use the boom and swing it over. nonetheless, it's done, and i'm proud and grateful....may have some pix tomorrow.

remaining tasks: lower motor into cabin, drag it onto mounts, install flywheel housing and flywheel, acc. drive, distributor w/ new condenser, cap, rotor, & points, manifold, carb, fuel filters, fuel and water lines, exhaust [from manifold], alternator, & starter -- then connect and align the shaft and motor mounts.

the fuel tank has been empty for about a year. any suggestions as to what to do to not put a lot of crud into the carb?

i'll get there...maybe in another week or 2.

best to all

k

ps -- i've been painting as i've gone along....mostly rustoleum red primer..which i think looks fine...though i have some left over blue spray paint i've used on the hull, so i'm using that on random pieces like the rev. gear cover, valve cover, acc. drive, etc.
                            Time and Money.. is mostly what it takes,,,

As a side note,, I think We MAJORLY HIJACKED M Neben' Oil Seal Tool Thread.

For That I Truly Apologize. Should have addressed that right off.

Jeff

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                            sigpic

Comment

• keithems
                              • Feb 2008

fixed it!

see post 26 above, which i edited to avoid major hijacking
                              keithems
                              [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

Working...
                              X