View Single Post
  #16   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 11-20-2019, 09:19 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
I'm far from expert but if one has to tighten the bleed screw hard enough so it doesn't leak AND that it cracks the housing.. sounds like there is no copper washer or it really needs replacing? ... but then this is apparently happens enough times to be able to be researched..
I don't know either but casting quality/strength would be a factor too. Eliminating it entirely solves any possibility of a problem.

This owner recently had another bleed screw break. The screw is small, threads into a banjo and has a tiny hole drilled transversely for a fuel path. It broke off right at the tiny hole.

I should say he has been chasing a small air leak for a while and his frustration level is at max. I was all for testing to find the problem and solve it directly but a week ago changed strategy. I suggested it might be time for the full Monty, make the entire fuel system as good as it can be, make it his own. One of the potential issues has been he pulls a hose off of a barb to purge air from a changed filter with the mechanical pump's hand bail or an auxiliary hand pump which damages the ID of the hose every time. It's on the suction side of the engine lift pump so a leak would be difficult to find. With a plumbed in polishing system purging is done with a turn of a valve and a flip of a switch. No hose removal, no hose damage and less diesel stank.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 12-20-2019 at 07:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
thatch (11-20-2019)