View Single Post
  #73   IP: 107.131.11.88
Old 11-16-2019, 09:20 PM

Ok...been travelling for work so haven't made it down to the boat until today (saturday the 16th)...

So, removed fuel pump and cleaned out the screen...but decided to buy a new fuel pump anyways to help eliminate that from my problems and I don't mind having a spare on board...low and behold...same issues.

Move on to spark test as soon as engine shuts down, got my kid to turn the key...and we have a strong blue spark.

After giving up and calling a trusted mechanic...he was good enough to encourage me to keep handling this on my own. Went to part store to get a can of starter fluid (I know, should have done this first as suggested, but learning as I go, so realize the mistakes I have made). decided to buy a new condenser for the distributor anyways..no big deal, $8.

Fired it up, like always, fired up strong but still shut down after a minute or so...after figuring out where the intake is for the carb, I ended up spraying some starter fluid in the next round when it was starting to die and that would keep it going when it wanted to die. disconnected the fuel line going into carb and made sure there was good flow coming out and good clean gas...

So I have now narrowed the problem down to the carburetor....the question is now...what is wrong with it...would it be just the float? would it require a full rebuild? can I get a new one for a palmer? How do I even remove the carb from the engine in the first place??

The mechanic I spoke to mentioned that most carburetor problems are problematic all the time...when it sits for a while, it runs for a while...so this makes me think just the float.

Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated and this time I will take your word step by step...

Thank you all for your help so far!