View Single Post
  #31   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 06-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by romantic comedy View Post
Finally someone with a T 34 that says the exhaust gets hot. I dont know why no one talks about it. It has made me crazy.

I have insulated that pipe with tons of fiberglass insulation. It still gets too hot. I have run with the engine box open and 3 fans blowing on it, when motoring long distance, like the ICW.

I have thought about making a jacketed exhaust, but have not done it yet. At one point, I was going to wrap 1/2 " copper tubing around the insulation, and run the cooling water thru it. I still might.

I cant imagine that the single wrapped exhaust pipe is much cooler then not wrapped.

I am surprised that no boats have caught fire.
Would a double exhaust wrap and a thin metal heat shield help. I haven't had to use a heat sheild on mine because I have ample clearance. The idea of a heat shield would be a piece of sheet metal (pref stainless or something non corrosive for the marine application) mounted so that it has about a 1 inch space between it and the wooden area. The heat sheild is usually attached by four or six points. metal absorbs and deflects heat away from the wood and the 1 inch gap is for air behind the shield so that it is not in direct contact with the wood....availability of room to install it would be the major consideration. Although not a fancy fix I think a heat shield could add some peace of mind. There should not be anything between the sheet metal and the wood ie) insulation because the sheet metal has to be able to dissipate heat as well. Might be worth looking into. Simple yet effective.
Attached Images

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 06-18-2012 at 12:07 AM.