X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azazzera
    • Aug 2014

Need collective wisdom

I’m installing a water tank under v-birth. Want to know if one demention of tank is better over another. I’ve decided on one of two tanks that will fit in the space I have. My question, is one of these two tanks better with regards to stability. There are no baffling in the tanks so I’m thinking about water moving in the tanks. The squarer of the two is 22 gallons, 23x16.875x14.75. The flatter one is 20 gallons 33.25x17.125x8.75. Hope the pictures loaded. For a 73-72 Pearson 30. Any advice on instillation, tips ,tricks ,appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Files
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

As the two tanks are very close in size my consideration would be which tanks leaves me with the most storage space / access.

The sloshing in a 30 footer should be no threat to safety if well mounted.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

The term is "free surface effect" and can be quite dangerous - in a much bigger tank. My bow tank is about twice that size and has one baffle.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Why no baffle?
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

I'm thinking the 33" tank needs a baffle IF the 33" dimension is fore/aft.
          Please design access to the tank so you can get in and clean into the corners. Don't rely on Clorox to keep the tank clean. All you need is one fill-up from untreated well water, and you'll have swimmers in your tank.
          How are you building this tank? I know of one fellow that just fiberglassed over the cardboard, then let the cardboard dissolve. I DON'T recommend it. The inside of the tank wants a smooth surface for easy cleaning and coating with an NSF approved tank coating (no fiberglass taste). Make sure there's an outlet/drain from the low point in the tank.

Comment

• sdemore
            • Nov 2016

If you are building it, watch the material you build it from. Most epoxy isn't potable water compatible and will leach toxins into the drinking water. West Systems told me that if the epoxy produces an amine blush, it will leach those amines into the water as well. If you do use their epoxy, you mix it significantly richer in resin and use less hardener. I did find one manufacturer that said theirs was FDA compliant, but they have now relabeled their product from Marine Epoxy to Table Top Epoxy. Same product, but marketed to a different audience now.
            Last edited by sdemore; 11-28-2018, 06:54 AM.
            Steve Demore
            S/V Doin' It Right
            Pasadena, MD
            sigpic

Comment

• azazzera
              • Aug 2014

Not building it myself. Cardboard boxes only mock-ups to see what will fit in my space. Plan on getting tank from one of online stores. Plastic mart. Tank depot. Etc. I assume no baffling because they are so small. Which would answer my stability question. Or it’s just not cost effective on such small tanks. Just wanted to know having never installed on if there was a concern about a slack tank and weight moving around in the tank. Or have I been watching to much Deadliest Catch. Thanks.

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Are you prepared for the different balance of the boat with an added 200 lbs. forward where the hull buoyancy is the least? The difference should be noticeable by observing the waterline before and after the project. As for no baffling, your proposed location for the tank is where the boat's motion is the greatest.
                Last edited by ndutton; 11-28-2018, 09:36 AM.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

The 40 gallon tank I have in the bow makes a noticeable difference when it is full. It is like having 2 fat people standing on the foredeck OTOH my wife likes having lots of water, so you gotta make sacrifices sometimes
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

This is the difference in hull design between racers, coastal cruisers/club racers and true cruising boats. A true cruiser can carry the typical heavy gear plus another roughly 1500 lbs. per person in stores without it affecting the boat's performance. My Westsail hull's bow reached big beam quickly in contrast to the more common "fine" bow. I carried 300 feet of 3/8" BBB anchor chain (468 lbs.) under the V berth, 45# and 35# CQR anchors on the bow sprit and you couldn't tell the difference.
                    Last edited by ndutton; 11-28-2018, 11:11 AM.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• lat 64
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Oct 2008

Domestic bliss

I been thinkin'.

22 gallons(154 lbs + tank) stuck up in the bow is not a big price to pay to have the luxury of saying to the Admiral* "go ahead and take a long shower, Honey. Remember, we're going up to the marina grill tonight".

If it's a problem of trim, then add two or three cases of beer in the Lazzarette.

*typically a spouse or guest
                      Last edited by lat 64; 11-28-2018, 01:47 PM.
                      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

I empty the bow tank if I want the last 2% of performance or not if I like a lot of showers.
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                          • Jan 2007

If you have 20 gallons in the tank no slosh~if you have severe sloshing in the 20 gallon tank it is only 10 gallons a sloshing~like a bikini clad hottie moving across the bow.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Administrator
                            MMI Webmaster
                            • Oct 2004

More Hot Water

]I love the addition of a Honeywell mixing valve to stretch out the available hot water while avoiding the risk of scalding.

The Honeywell AM-1 Lead Free series accurately adjusts, maintains and limits the hot water temperature to a desired setting selected by the user. In domestic water applications it offers scalding protection and bacteria growth control. By installing a Honeywell AM-1 mixing valve and raising water heater storage temperature setting and limiting mixed outlet water temperature to safe temperature more usable hot water is available. In heating applications, it provides comfort and protects the equipment.
                            Some of the newer hot water tanks come with them already installed.

Bill
                            Last edited by Administrator; 11-28-2018, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X