View Single Post
  #4   IP: 40.132.224.194
Old 10-30-2018, 02:58 AM
Aforian MVP

Hi Jim,

Yeah sorry for the confusion. I know it's generally frowned upon to have multiple threads going for the same engine rebuild but I was trying to avoid confusion since I'm not up to date with my 'rebuild thread' posts. I know I've been a little behind but I'll catch up I promise. To clarify the timeline, I purchased the boat with the non-running A-4 in 2013, tinkered with every engine system from 2013-2015 to diagnose the non-running condition (where my 'rebuild thread' narrative is currently stalled), ultimately got the engine running, then made a couple of significant screw-ups that likely caused enough damage to require the full rebuild, and now am currently in the middle of a slow-but-steady full teardown/rebuild (Oct 2018.) I didn't want to ruin the timeline and quickly skip through the story of how I toasted my engine just to catch up to present-day. It's informative and hopefully entertaining enough to be worth the wait.

-Jonathan
P.S. I hope the A-4ians will forgive my infrequency of posts for the time being. However, if anyone wants a taste of what it's like being in the throws of an ongoing multi-year whole-house renovation while dealing with a crying, screaming, sleepless, teething 13 month old who uses your nose as a chew toy, living in a semi-finished construction zone with 1 functional toilet, sleeping on an air mattress on the floor, covering 2 mortgages and full-time daycare, er, I mean 3 mortgages, supporting a stressed-out, sleep-deprived wife, and then commuting 997 miles to work at a job with a company that's in the middle of a merger, while trying to squeeze in 1 hour/month to work on your old busted sailboat motor, I can post a video on YouTube so you can get a better feel for the audio. Believe me the sound is worse than any rod knock you've ever heard!
1979 Catalina 30 #1497
An old Airline Pilot proverb: "If we don't help each other nobody else will."