View Single Post
  #10   IP: 137.200.32.22
Old 10-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,024 Times in 719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemore View Post
I've been told that once I have everything together, I should have the CG Auxiliary do an inspection. When finished, they give a sticker that goes on your mast to show you did it, and that is supposed to help keep the regular Coast Guard inspectors attraction levels down.

And yes, just talking about paperwork. I have books that tell me the legally required things, but not things like Tow Boat insurance rider with the policy and telephone numbers.
You will find the USCG very uninterested in sailboats. They have only been aboard my boat once, that was after a hurricane when we were stuck with dead batteries (cases cracked in the storm) and a ripped main. They came out and got the main to send ashore for repairs and wrote us up for not having a "don't dump oil" sticker They tried to board us about 300 miles east of Norfolk once at night when we were rail down with a triple-reefed main and storm jib. I got them to go away by mentioning anyone trying to come aboard in winds gusting to 50 was risking their life and maybe a calmer day would be better