View Single Post
  #63   IP: 68.107.97.167
Old 04-27-2017, 03:38 PM

engine hours

Right now my meter reads 2218 hrs. I have had the boat 7 yrs and I think I got it with just less than 1900 hrs. Thats about 45 hours a yr. I did the math for this old 1976 Newport and it comes out to about 54 hrs per year. So I believe the meter is pretty close to correct. I don't use the engine much maybe 1/3 of an hour per sail off the dock and back to the dock. Maybe 10 min out of the Shelter Island yacht basin and another 10 back in. I often sail if the winds right back into the slip.
I haven't done much to the engine other than plugs and oil change in the time that I have had it but I think it is time for a rebuild since I am getting water dripping into the carb from the manifold so I guess there is a leak in the manifold allowing cooling water to intake portion of the manifold. Bummer, maybe I can just replace the manifold but since I am raw water cooled I am thinking all the cooling jackets are probably pretty bad. The manifold is very rusted and I couldn't find a gasket or remnants of one on it. Very strange.