View Single Post
  #20   IP: 67.169.215.221
Old 05-20-2020, 03:29 PM
Afourian MVP

I think it would be interesting to see what tools you would leave at the dock if you were trying to 'live light' and will the goal of fixing most things to last for a few days until you can fix it right. In my case that means I would leave pull my 5 crimpers off and go with wirenuts. Yes, wirenuts are 'bad' on a boat... but IMO not if it's just get home.

Funny story. One time out 4-wheeling a wiring harness in a friends truck somehow got snagged and *then* somehow got pull into the open knuckle u-joint and just shredded (a million to one shot I never would have thought possible). While it started off as just headlight wires by the time it was done it had snaked in the part of the engine wiring harness as well and the truck was DOA in the middle of nowhere.

We were stealing bits of wire in pieces from other vehicles and their stereo/speaker, twisting wires and black tape to get enough engine wiring to make it go.

That's when I started putting the 20' of 4 conductor cheapo trailer wiring and wire nuts in all the rigs (and boat). With that, we could have not only got the engine running, but the headlights too.

Last edited by ronstory; 05-20-2020 at 09:06 PM.